Can anyone jump in and help me out with this. I am working on a track right now and my reference track for the mix is "Figure 8" by Ellie Goulding http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNpBahr49mA
I really like how the vocals are spread out on the chorus. You hear them panned to the side but still hearing the lead vocal in the middle. They sound nice and compressed and sitting in the mix just right...
Im writing and mixing as I go with this song. My set up is PT 8 and I have done the following to try and achieve this on the ChorusLEAD VOX
- Was recorded on a Blue mic (I was not present at tracking)
1. Panned- straight up the middle
3. EQ- HPF at 116, HF -3.2 at 8.9k (digi plug)
4. De-Esser- Freq. 7.8 Range -8.8 getting -6db of reduction
5. I automate before the compressor. then compress BF76 fast attack and release, Ratio12, about -10db of reduction, Then I have the Massey TapeHead on Normal setting.
6. I parallel compressed it with a BF76 attack at 7 release at 1. "all buttons in" getting about -20db of compression. Then Im blending that in. I then copied that track and applied a different eq. cut lows and compressed it more and sent it through the same aux as the lead vox. BGVs.
Hear Im trying to spread the melody out. So i have 3 parts. the original melody, a Harmony and one double of the melodythey are bussed to an aux with the following plugs on it.
1. Massey Comp Attack fast, Release Mid, Compressed at 5 with about 6 to 8db of reduction.
2. EQ HPF at 350Hz, +1.4 at 1.2k and - 6db at 8k
3. Massey TapeHead set to normal They are then bussed to the following auxes to make it wide
1. AIR Stereo width. Set to WIDE and MODE is Adjust. (that is then bused to a doubler)
2. Stereo AUX Doubler DLY with 8.35 and 15.ms of delay. (no feedback)
3. Parallel compressed the lead
My session is getting really big and I feel like it's all running away from me at this point. :(
So here is my question
Im looking for are any tips on what you guys have done to get the vocals fat/big/wide and spread out across the stereo image. In the vein of the figure 8 song/pop songs. Stacking vox beefing them up etc.
On another note Im trying to get my drums as big and aggressive/in your face as "figure 8" as well but I guess that would be for another topic. But comments are appreciated.
Also, Please just listen up to the first chorus on my song because I haven't really done anything with the back half.
So just first CH only which starts at :55. Thanx!